Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Bedford Cf Transit Motorhome
BlueUrgent
Diesel::Driver Guru

Mood: Owner of a '95 Ssangyong Musso

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 09:55
Bedford Cf Transit Motorhome

As the title says.

My dad is now the proud owner of a 1981 Bedford CF motorhome. Fitted with a 2.5D Transit engine & gearbox.

The CF was originally a 2.3 petrol motor.

Now the mechanic who done the conversion kept the original rear axle on the motor. Now was this a good idea or should we look for a suitable bedford diesel rear axle or is there no difference ?

Will ask questions about other problems as & when they come up.

(Drum brakes all round ! Now there was a blast from the past. Good brakes though...)

SSanyong Musso'95 SE 2.9D,Kia Sedona(Gone & Forgotten), Suzuki RF900(Gone to Halifax,Sadly missed),'99 Audi A4TDi saloon 110hp. Oh and Renault Ambulances at work.
Scanner
Newshound at Large

Mood: Wary, extremely wary!

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 10:13

You may find the petrol diff is a bit low for the diesel engine but then as the CF engine wasn't much of a high revver really maybe not - see how it drives.

It it is overrevving in all gears you'll need to try and find a diesel CF diff - not a very common item I'd guess, as diesel CF's weren't that common back then.

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less until they know absolutely everything about sod all.
ROCKETRON
Turbocharged

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 10:15

Could probably do with a higher ratio rear axle but it depends on the gearbox used. Only driving it on the motorway and up hills and around town can tell you if the axle/gearbox ratios are ok for the purpose. If it seems ok with a reasonable cruising speed and fuel consumption then leave the axle alone.

MAZDA CX5 175SPORTNAV 2.2D AWD AUTO.
BMW 320D E90 M-Sport Le-mans Blue.SOLD
BMW320D SE 150 Touring SOLD
BlueUrgent

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 10:23

MPG from Skegness to Glenrothes worked out approx 31mpg.

350miles 11gallons Derv.

Cruised at 52mph. Above 55mph got very noisy.

No rev counter so cant tell what rpm/mph is.

Is there an easy way to put a rev counter on a transit engine ? ?

SSanyong Musso'95 SE 2.9D,Kia Sedona(Gone & Forgotten), Suzuki RF900(Gone to Halifax,Sadly missed),'99 Audi A4TDi saloon 110hp. Oh and Renault Ambulances at work.
jonlucpicard
Newsdesk Editor

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 15:03

Can you not fit a transit axle?
Some sound deadening on the bulkhead will help with the noise.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Scanner
Newshound at Large

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 15:08

You would then have 2 different types of wheel, possibly 2 different sizes.

It should be possible to change the tyre size to gear it up 10% or so. Or even get some wheels and inch or so bigger - quicker and cheaper than finding and changing a diff.

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less until they know absolutely everything about sod all.
BlueUrgent

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 17:30

Would you believe its got Range Rover wheels on it !:shocked:

Dont know what size. I will be back up at my dads in the next couple o weeks so will check it out.

Sound deadening on the bulkhead was our 1st thought to cut down the noise.:thumbup:

Checked the tyre pressures..:cens:

Not 1 with more than 30lbs in it. Got to guess what tyre pressure should be in it but put them upto 40lbs as an ongoing pressure at the moment.

Scanner
Newshound at Large

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 17:58

I think Range Rover wheels are bigger than the Bedford ones which I think are only 14"
Are the RR ones 15" or 16".

jonlucpicard
Newsdesk Editor

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 18:03

post some pics then we can have a look, sounds like an interesting vehicle.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
PaulR
Super Moderator

Mood: Bah, Humbug

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 18:08

I've always liked the Beford CF van. They had a nicer front end treatment than the Transit and I also preferred the shape of the rear lamp clusters as well!

I had a couple at the end of the seventies. The first one was originally a 1600 petrol but the previous owner had fitted a 2300 engine and the overdrive gearboc of a VX4/90. The overdrive helped immensely as obviously the final drive ratio was rather low. The extra torque helped pull the trailer that I used when I went rallying. When I took it in for an MOT the mechanic took it for a run to test the brakes (ah, those were the days) and came back beaming. "Bl**dy hell" he said "That goes like a bunch of f*cks".

Unfortunately the overdrive was a J type and the propshaft was a sliding spline connection type. This couldn't take the stain of the long propshaft and high torque and eventually gave way. Fortunately back in those days I had decent connections in the motor trade and I was able to get the overdrive rebuilt using a flange drive end which was supported by a double bearing.

I also took the opportunity to rebuild the gearbox using the CF (as opposed to the VX4/90) centre section so that I cold use the proper CF gearlever. The short car gearlever had been a bit of a stretch to reach! Together with a new propshaft that I made it was great. Although I never got around to to finishing off the job, I had a special extra long speedo cable made which, together with the ratios I had specified for the speedo gears, made the speedo read perfectly.

When the roof blew off the first CF (!!) - yes rust was a bit of a problem - I bought another one, an 1800 originally, I very soon transferred everything over and had another few years of fun.

I vaguely remember looking into final drive ratios as well. Even back then alternatives were thin on the ground. The best I was able to come up with was to change the 13" wheels for 14". These worked much better with the 4.75:1 diff.

As I get older I find myself thinking about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I\'m here after.
jonlucpicard
Newsdesk Editor

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 18:40

Pauls post has jogged my memory, i have driven a few mid 80's diesel transits that had 4 speed overdrive gearboxes.
If you could find one and fit it in the CF it would be a lot nicer to drive on the motorway.

BlueUrgent

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 22:16

I will post some pictures as soon as I get a chance.

Got the ones from Fleabay & will try to get some of my own soon !

Believe it or not its a 5 speed transit gearbox thats on it.

Into 5th gear at about 35mph & leave it there most o the time !

I agree with you PaulR. The bedford is much better looking !

PaulR
Super Moderator

Mood: Bah, Humbug

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 23:47

The CF was always underated in my book. I don't know why it wasn't more popular.

This thread has started me reminiscing. The CF was my main transport for a while while the rally car was being rebuilt between events - usually because I had broken something! I was courting at the time and my wife says that she well remembers our first date when we had arranged that I would pick her after she finished working in a pub.

She wondered what she was letting herself in for when I screamed into the car park (late again!) and skidded to a halt in front of her. I showed her a month or so later when I persuaded her to come out on a Sunday on a PCT.

For those who don't know this a motorsport event where there are routes marked out going up and down a hill and you get points for getting as far as you can. I persuaded her to stay in the back of the van over the wheelarch for extra weight to help grip. Things were OK until I went over a bump rather fast and catapulted her into roof where she smacked her head on he ceiling.

Ah, happy days...

As I get older I find myself thinking about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I\'m here after.
Scanner
Newshound at Large

[*] posted on 13-8-2009 at 00:40

I've still got a mouldering one of these sat in my yard.

It's currently used as a shed.

cflandcruiser2.jpg - 58kB

Networkguy
Happy as Larry

Mood: Moody

[*] posted on 13-8-2009 at 00:48

Wow

I actually learned to drive in a Bedford CF in bright yellow that belonged to my dad.

It used to be loads of fun until the day it came to the end of the lease and he came home with a brand new Bedford Rascal :mad:

At that point I just knew it was time to buy my own wheels.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top